Synopsis (Greek, sun – together, opsis – seeing)
Brief out line or summary of your future work.
SIZE OF PAPER
A4 size be used.
Five copies on good quality paper be submitted
METHOD OF PRODUCTION
The text must be typewritten in acceptable type face with 1000 words is the maximum limit
Before starting to work on Dissertation/Article, the FCPS trainee has to send a Synopsis to RTMC and get it approved.
A synopsis can be structured in the following manner:
- MATERIAL AND METHODS:
DURATION OF STUDY
- DATA ANALYSIS PROCEDURE
- DATA COLLECTION INSTRUMENT
- Reflect the objectives of the study.
- Written after the whole synopsis has been written.
- True representative of the synopsis.
- Contain brief background of the selected topic.
- Identify the importance of study, its relevance and applicability of results.
- State the purpose of the study.
- what the researcher plans to do in his/her work.
- must identify the variables involved in research.
- A statement showing expected relation between 2 variables.
- Needed in the following study designs:
→ All interventional studies
→ Case control
→ Comparative cross sectional.
MATERIAL AND METHODS:
STUDY DESIGN: Mention the name of the appropriate study design.
SETTING: Name and place where the research work is to be conducted.
DURATION OF STUDY: How long will the study take with dates.
→How many patients will be included.
→If there are groups how many per group?
SAMPLING TECHNIQUE: Type of sampling technique employed.
→Inclusion criteria: On what bases will patients be inducted in the study.
→Exclusion criteria: On what bases will patients be excluded from the study.
DATA COLLECTION PROCEDURE: A detailed account of how the researcher will perform research; how s/he will measure the variable.
→Identification of the study variables
→Methods for collection of data
→Data collection tools (Performa/Questionnaire)
- DATA ANALYSIS PROCEDURE:
Relevant details naming software to be used.
Statistics and which test of significance.
Specifying variables where it will be applied.
- DATA COLLECTION INSTRUMENT:
The researcher must attach Performa or questionnaire with the help of which he/she intends to collect data.
Prepared by Dr Maryam Malik